everyday: of or for ordinary days Dictionary.com
epistle: a composition in prose or poetry written in the form of a letter to a particular person or group Britannica.com

Wednesday, February 16, 2011

Dangerous Liaisons: A Girl Enters the Blogosphere

A friend alerted me that my blog's security settings won't let her post a comment. Oh, the heartbreak of it all.

I write words, not code. This leaves me in the awkward position of being dazed and confused by social media, while madly in love with it too.

Library called. They would like their books back now.
Blogger, my platform, says they have enabled automatic spam detection. Translation: ain’t nothing getting through.

So I thought I would simply adjust my Blogger settings down to make it easier for you to come to the dance. Yeah, right.

I logged in to Blogger Dashboard. That’s IT lingo for site-that-makes-you-think-you-have-some-control-over-your-stuff. I clicked on Comments to change the settings.

Imagine my surprise to discover there is no loosen-up-so-people-can-comment-and-subscribe-without-turning-backflips option. It appears my settings are as loose as they get.

This is only my third post and already I’m considering moving the entire operation to WordPress. Two of my blogging babe heros successfully reside there. See their beautiful sites: Here's the DiehlTraveling with the Jones.

I am enamoured with Blogger's simplicity. But truth be told, WordPress was my first choice to launch Everyday Epistle. Even have the name reserved.

So why didn't I? The WordPress Dashboard looks like spaghetti.

If you can relate to this soap opera, never fear. There is safety in numbers. We'll overcome it together.

If on the other hand, you are a social media master, please chime in. Throw out the lifeline lest the rest of us drown in RSS feeds and plug-ins.

Stay tuned. If Everyday Epistle moves to another platform, I hope you will come along. But for now, I’ll keep writing the words that fuel the fire.

Consider it pure joy, my brothers and sisters, whenever you face trials of many kinds, because you know that the testing of your faith develops perseverance. Let perseverance finish its work so that you may be mature and complete, not lacking anything. James 1:2-3 NIV


Apologies if you have tried unsuccessfully to comment or subscribe. Thanks for staying on. At the risk of breaking blog taboo, my email address is still working last I checked. It’s not interactively ideal, but I'll get your message. mailto:everydayepistle@att.net.

3 comments:

  1. Want to just come over some day and I'll help you set it up on WP? After I'm not sneezing and coughing all day long, I'd be happy to help!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Aimee
    You can call me anytime for help with Word Press. Trust me, it's not that hard.

    Janis

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks, Nicole and Janis. May take you up on your offers.
    Found out another blogging babe hero of mine is hosted on WordPress. See www.minivansarehot.com
    Seems to be the way to go...

    ReplyDelete